Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Cheesy Egg Casserole


This was on the menu today, and it was delicious! Since many asked for the recipe, here you are. Perfect for Christmas morning, too.

By Christina Pillot

This recipe is based on a similar dish that is – or, at least, was – served at the Washington School Inn in Park City, Utah. My parents had it there several years ago and asked for the recipe. I’ve made some modifications to the cheese content of the recipe and always make a much bigger batch than the printed-out copy they shared with my parents. The basic recipe I work with is below, and it’s the one I turn to again and again. From time to time, I’ll use different types of cheeses – Gruyere, Havarti – and or I’ll add in chopped jalapeno peppers if I really want to play with it. Otherwise, I’ll put out a side of fresh salsa and just serve it as-is.
Cheesy Egg Casserole, slice

Cheesy Egg Casserole
12 large eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups milk (any kind)
16-oz cottage cheese
8-oz cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/3-1/2 lb shredded Monterey jack cheese
Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking/casserole dish.
In a large bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together eggs, flour, baking powder, salt and milk. Stir in cottage cheese, cream cheese and shredded Monterey jack cheese. Pour into prepared baking dish.
Bake for about 45 minutes, until eggs are set and casserole is not “wet” in the middle.
Dish will deflate slightly as it cools. Cool for at least 10 minutes before serving to make slicing easier.
Dish can be served hot or cold.
Serves 12-16

No comments:

Post a Comment